Thursday, October 30, 2008

To be or not to be, to blog or not to blog, that is the question. The popularity of my blog is evident by the comments I receive. Linda has asked that I continue and I appreciate her loyal following and I guess as long as I have two followers, Linda and the blog's author, its worth it. After all, as an introvert, I'm not much into crowds anyway. Today's blog presents me as the counsellee and my reader as the counsellor. In other words I need to vent and I know you will want to read my story.

In March of 2007 I bought a pre-owned Toyota Avalon. In June of 2008, I received a message from the Illinois Tollway that included a picture of my Avalon having passed through a toll booth without paying the toll. I was informed that I owed a fine of $104.00. At first I was puzzled then I noticed that the violation occurred in June of 2006. I thought "Oh this will be easy to resolve, I'll just call them and inform them that I did not purchase the car until 9 months after the violation". Wrong! I called and they informed me that I would have to provide proof.

I asked them how they had determined me to be the owner. They said the information was supplied by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. I then called the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles and they said. Our records show clearly that you purchased the auto in March 2007 and did not own the vehicle at the time of the violation. They suggested I ask the representative of the tollway to call TDMV and they would correct any misunderstanding the tollway might have. When I called my helpful Tollway representative, they said I would have to provide proof. By now a principle is at stake for me. I asked why I should have to correct their error and that all it would take was for them to make a simple telephone call. I was informed that they don't involve third parties. When I asked how that could be true, since they had involved them in acquiring the data that supposedly listed me as the owner of the car. They said they had policies to follow.

Meanwhile I had received another notice warning me that the fine is now 375.00 and climbing.
I spoke to five different people at the tollway and spent 3 hours of their time and mine when a two minute conversation between them and the TDMV could have solved the problem. I pointed out that the crime was committed by the car, not by me and that it seemed rather obvious to me that I am being assumed guilty rather than innocent and that the burden of proof should be on them. Furthermore I pointed out to them that even the TDMV representative said they would look awfully silly if they came after me since it is so evident that the truth is on my side. Surprizingly, they were not impressed and reminded me that I must provide documentation proving that I didn't own the auto or I would remain in violation.

What's wrong with our country? Policies and bureaucracies that spend 4 hours of taxpayers money on something a two minute telephone call could resolve. Automated telephone answering systems and dialing systems intrude upon our privacy and eat up our time. I think operations like the Illinois tollway operate by the assumption that if they can waste enough of your time and hassle you long enough you will pay whether you owe it or not. They may be right, for I don't want my license taken away or have to appear before an Illinois judge or serve time in the slammer.

I know, I know , why don't I just send the documentation they are asking for? Did I mention there is a principle at stake, although at the moment I can't remember what it is.

1 comment:

Jan Kelley said...

i shared with you my thoughts on this topic of "to blog or not to blog" and if you recsll, my thoughtw were stted s continue to blog, blog, blog. Sometimes the only time I actually am stimulted mentally is when I read and reflect upon the words you have written. Think of your blog s mission. Know that I read it every day and often I dont have any time in the day to sit down and respond. Dont stop.