Wednesday, December 10, 2008

This has not been a great morning. I began a post 30 minutes ago and somehow I managed to delete it. Ah the wonder of the computer. In the old days of typewriters and white out you didn't have such problems. Speaking of the old days which I seem to do a lot of now days. I miss them, especially this morning. Its cold outside, but its warm and cozy in my book littered office. One thing is missing--warm comforting hot chocolate or coffee. In the old days, someone made coffeee for me when I arrived at the office. Then came along those feminazis(quiz: who popularized that term). Now when I arrive and say "has anyone made coffee" I hear a haunting echo that seems to be summoning me and being the servant that I am, I speed to the kitchen to make coffee. There's always someone who rains on us good ol' boys' parade and ruins our utopia.

Speaking of "good ol' boys", how many of you knew the name of the Illinois governor before yesterday morning at 6:30. I hope I'm not alone. When I read reports about governor Blagojevich, my most pressing question was "how do you pronounce Blagojevich". Maybe its Blago-je-vick, but that doesn't sound very profound. Maybe its Bla-go-jevick, but that doesn't sound much better. Being the smart guy that I am, I turned on talk radio and listened for their rendition of Blagojevich. They pronounce his name Blaga-ya-vick. I thought that I would follow their lead, but then I remembered that talk radio is dominated by conservative republicans who have little knowledge of liberal democrats, so how could I be certain that they were right. Even if they knew the proper rendering, how could I be sure that they wouldn't mispronounce the word on purpose. So naturally, I decided to go to the mainstream media where liberal names are the dominant language spoken. After hearing all pronunciations I decided that in my vocal communication or is it oral communication, oh well whatever, I would simply refer to the person in question as "the governor of Illinois".

Of course in print I can still refer to him as Bla.......... I'm practicing for my oral presentations. To refer to him as Bla......... reminds one of the transcript of his telephone conversations as recorded in the press.

The story is fascinating from a number standpoints. First, from the standpoint of the press. Here's a liberal democrat trying to intimidate the Tribune dynasty in Chicago. Since the Tribune and other well known msm are in financial crisis and fighting for their survival, how much energy will they put into investigating this story. Will there be any effort to tie "the governor" with the president elect. The New York Times, the Los Angelos Times and the tribune network of papers sacrificed all to get the "Illinois senator" elected. Their very survival might be guaranteed if they could expose a connection of the president elect to the scandal of Bla..........."the governor". Second, its interesting from the standpoint of scandal and the democrats. Our president elect ran on a platform of change in Washington. Will his experience in Illinois be his model of change? I think Washington is already enough like Illinois. What kind of reform movement did president elect Obama lead in Illinois? I guess I just haven't heard about it, I'm sure he did, after all politicians wouldn't mislead us, would they? Third, it makes you wonder about the genesis of tax free 501c 4 charities. Do these charities arise from altruism or from political favors?

There is not an area of society that seems untouched by political favors. I have seen politics in the church just as in the community. Whenever areas becomed politicized scandal is waiting to surface. Seek ye first the kingdom where political favors play no role in its administration.

3 comments:

vicki said...

No comments from the Illinois political mafia yet? You are lucky you didn't use the guv's name more than 5 or 6 times or you would have attracted unwanted attention.

And why don't you give the Maypearl Starbucks drive through window a little business of a morning? Those people are struggling and your tall coffee could make a diff in the local economy. Tell them you want the girl to serve it.

And I believe it was my mentor R. Limbaugh who popularized the name Feminazi. Is there a prize if I got it right??

Jan Kelley said...

Ronnie, You should write a regular column for a newspaper. Your writing style is so entertaining and all the while informative. How about yuo start sending your Maypearl Maverick Monologue to the newspaper and see if they dont see the benefit it would give their readers. Really.

Then Vicki could write her response and we could all have a good chuckle and be more ready to get about the busyness of our day.
Keep up the posts.

Linda said...

Ahhhhhh, the wonder and frustration of a computer. Not too long ago I worked all day on a lesson for Ladies Bible Class and when I was finally seeing double I decided to take a brake. After a few minutes of caffine and sugar I was ready to bear down again. Only, when I returned to the one eyed monster, alas it was all dark. For some reason there was a power surge and now it was gone. After I calmed down from my power surge I went to bed. I learned a very valuable lesson that day..........don't teach Bible class, ha, ha.
The one thing that you did fail to mention about the "Illinois Gov" was his "bleeping". I've never heard so much "bleeping" and now every talk show is "bleeping". Everyone is having a "bleeping" good time with it. May the Lord deliver us from "bleeping" politicians. Love ya, Linda