Monday, December 8, 2008

Hopefully rain may come our way within 24 hours. Some severe weather is also possible. Hope we get the former without the latter.

Getting older is not exactly what I expected. I imagined a day when worries would be behind me. All my kids would be healthy, wealthy and wise. All would fight one another to provide for Gloria and me in our senior years. We would live in the mountains. I would read, write and breathe the mountain air.

I'm proud of my kids and they are thoughtful and caring. I don't worry about not being cared for, but I didn't expect that so much care would be necessary. In ten years I've had 4 bi-passes, a stint, a pacemaker and lots of bills. Saturday I was diagnosed with "fuchs' dystrophy". If you've ever heard of it, you're ahead of me. After doing a little research, I discover there is no cure except cornea transplant. It can be treated with drops until it worsens. It produces blurred vision, watering eyes and frustration. The disease is inherited and produces swelling in an inner layer of the cornea. In a worse case scenario blindness can result, but I'm trusting that mine will not become a worse case scenario. If I were blind I couldn't blog and I know that the world awaits my latest blog as is evidenced by the many many many responses to my blogs. I have never trusted numbers and am sure that I have many silent readers.


So now I have lost my vision of reading and writing in my mountain cabin. Instead I see myself with coca cola glasses rocking in a rocking chair waiting to be fed. Oh well, I couldn't breathe the mountain air anyway without wearing my pacemaker out before its time. Did someone say these were the golden years or was it the olden years? Ecclesiastes 12 means more to me than it used to when I would preach a powerful sermon about remembering the creator in the days of your youth before the golden years set in.

If any of my readers are young may I suggest you never visit this sight again. Seems like I keep using words like vision and sight. I need to expand my vocabulary before I fall into dark(stop it) depression. God bless those readers who are experiencing with me the golden years.

2 comments:

vicki said...

My word! I am so sorry for this latest news...but you can listen to books instead of read them. All of us blog readers will line up to read to you at the "Home", since I don't think your kind of books show up in the AudioBook catalogs too often.

So how's your hearing anywaze??

I will try to call you tomorrow, so please know Wilna's address so I can address a card to her.

And you can keep blogging. I'll bet your fingers still know where those keys are.

Hope that rain you're looking for is close, as we could use a little too. We're pretty close to just removing the doors since none of them latch anyhow.

Keep those cards and letters coming,

Your friend,
Mary Sunshine

Jan Kelley said...

Here's to our Golden years. May they long continue and may we all be seen as wise and not merely old.

I laughed out loud at parts of this blog. Continue to write.

I did not laugh at Fuch's Dystrophy, but looked it up. I will pray about this and you.

The blogging world, not to mention the other world you are involved in, could handle not having a regular publicaiton from your pen.

It is mightier than the sword they say.

Long live our healthy. clearly seeing, prolific Ronnie.